Sunday, February 05, 2006

As if lives matter

In my earlier entry about the Sago mining disaster, I noted that the miners died because the mine’s owner chose not to spend the money on available technology that could have saved them. Now, the Canadians show us how it’s done, how to run a mine as if the miners’ lives matter.

At the Mosaic postash mine near Esterhazy, Saskatchewan, miners were trained in how to respond to fires and given the means to save themselves, exactly proving my point: all of the technology already exists that could have saved the Sago miners, and as such things go, it’s pretty low tech. Air, food, and water.

I cheer the Canadians and their successful mine rescue, and I wonder when we Americans will behave as if the lives of our workers are also worthy of such affordable investment. I am not holding my breath.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home